Monday, May 14, 2012

a post from my mom

This post comes to you via my mom's personal journal in 1992. She scanned an entry for me and I have been given permission to share it with you :)
Instead of doing a post about how amazing my mom is for Mother's Day, I'll give you a glimpse into what may have shown up on my mom's blog had there been internet when I was a child, so you can see for yourself!

1/21/1992; 9:55pm (she even time-stamped it!)
Page,
You went to the dentist a few weeks ago and did great! He took x-rays and we can see your permanent teeth. They look pretty crooked, but hopefully will straighten out when they come through. You are growing up so fast! Your favorite movie is "Beauty and the Beast." I took you to see it when it first came out and dad took you back this past weekend.
I hope when you're older, you have fond memories of your childhood. We have good times together. Baking cookies--playing cards. You love to play "Go Fish" now. We play it a lot.
There are so many problems in the world today--drugs, aids, violence--all kinds of stuff. I have so many things that I wish for in your life: 

A belief and love for God.

Dear friends that you will make and keep and love for your whole life. It's so special to have friends that you love and care about. I have made many all over with all our moves.

Enough money for you to be comfortable, but not so much that it becomes the most important thing in your life.

High self-esteem and a love for yourself that will help you do whatever you want with your life. 

A great husband who is loving and supportive of you and your goals.

Healthy children (if you want them) who will give you the happiness that you and Corey give your Dad and I.

A long and healthy life with the strength you need to get through the rough times...

If you read this when you are a teenager, I know you'll think it's silly, but maybe when you're 31, like me, it may sound a little better.

One more wish for your life: A great cat like Clyde to love and grow with your family!!

***

I laughed and cried the first time I read it. I'm incredibly thankful for an amazing mom and dad. And can you believe she added in the part about the cat?!? This is our family cat, Clyde, whom we all adored. He lived to be 18 and was over 20 lbs.
We still talk about Clyde often. Banks looks a lot like him, and even though Banks' nickname is "Big", Clyde was almost double his size!


Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...